Here, take a look.
To get your business to the 212 degree boiling point, you must have many flames burning: marketing, sales, operations, cash flow, teamwork, goals, etc. There are two keys to being able to do this:
1. Keep that Big Picture view of your business. This is the temperature of the water, your company’s raison d’être, it’s ‘reason for being.’ Call it strategy, bird’s eye view, the view from 20,000 feet, whatever you want. The point is to know maintain this focus while working on all the small flames that will boil your water!
2. Manage all the flames (goals, plans and details) that will bring that water to it's boiling point. Which flames are contributing to your boiling point? Which are not? Which need more fuel to burn, which can use less? As business owners, we have many flames burning, and we need them all to get that water to its boiling point.
To help you balance your flames and keep an eye on the big picture, I recommend a good plan. Sit down and map out your plan:
1. Strategy: Map out your strengths and weaknesses in your market as compared to your competitors
2. Cash Flows: forecast your sales, plan your monthly expenses; compare these to actual results each month and make adjustments
3. Marketing: Write out your promotional plan for the year and make sure you do it each month
4. Goals: identify your Big Picture Goal and figure our what its going to take to get your there (all the flames)
5. Metrics: find the numbers that will give you the pulse of your business: sales, profits, sales per transaction, etc.
Now, keep an eye on these plans every month. Pretty soon, your water will start to boil.
Where Should I Go Now?
Main Blog Page
Become A Business Coach like Stuart