In a few conversations this past week, I was reminded of a great quote (by Ross Perot and others): “If you want to soar like an eagle, you can’t run with turkeys.” Now, that sounds pretty mean, but the gist of it is a good lesson. We need to surround ourselves with people who help us achieve our goals. So, let’s look at what makes an ‘eagle’
1. Are experts that allow us to benefit from their expertise. This helps save huge amounts of time. I read an article in a science magazine about how a family unit will collectively build knowledge. They start to rely, subconsciously, on each other for certain expertise, knowledge, and wisdom. I know I sure depend on my wife for facts and wisdom on sociological and educational topics! An eagle in your circle will help you expand your knowledge base.
2. Share a genuine concern for our success. Would you want to surround yourself with anyone else, other than those who really care about our success? These folks are more ‘partners’ than vendors, suppliers, or customers.
3. Have achieved some of their own success. You can tell they are on the right path and heading toward ‘great’ things. I think they tend to be very goal-oriented.
4. Are giving in nature. They will spend more time asking about you than telling you about themselves. They are also more likely to work within the community to make it better, or just to help others.
5. Always look to find the positive in given situation. Now that you’re thinking about eagles, I bet you have a few in mind that would be good to bring into your circle. Just like finding a good mentor, give these folks a call, set up a lunch meeting, and just do some exploration to see if there might be a connection.
In one of my past businesses, there was another shop in the same industrial complex owned by an ‘eagle.’ The two of us really formed a strong bond, and he was instrumental to my success. To this day, if you ask him about our relationship, his answer would sound like I was the eagle, not him. Very selfless. I always found myself saying that I was more successful just by hanging around this guy.
Find your eagles and watch how high and how far you will soar!
Where Should I Go Now?
Main Blog Page
Become A Business Coach like Stuart
This gorgeous Regal Eagle Image is courtesy of Tina Phillips /FreeDigitalPhotos.net